Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, February 9, 2023

A taste of this winter's birding

You can see why I've been a happy birder this winter.


Photo by Michael Gray


https://www.marfapublicradio.org/show/nature-notes/2023-02-09/pinyon-jays-star-in-an-irruptive-year-for-west-texas-birds


And the new game cam (which still needs tweaking) shows how the quail love the new feeder. Notice they don't even have to use the perch. That's good for ground feeders, like they are.



I already can't imagine not having the new feeder. Feels like the oasis would be missing a key component, like a water feature or something, without it.


7 comments:

  1. All around awesome! So glad all the hard work on the new bear proof feeder is bringing such excellent results already. And I am sure it’ll get even better. Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys need to get that feeder patented!! How great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even without bears around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could also do it with smaller tanks...like propane, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently I have commented as anonymous, but now this is me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see a big need for bear proof feeders. Any size tank would work. We had access to several sizes but I chose this one because it wasn't too big for my son to easily handle, yet big enough that it'll hold at least a two week supply of seed. That relieves me of worry that the feeder will be empty before I can get back there to fill it. That has happened a couple of times. No more! Of course every time a bear pulled down the hanging feeder it became empty before I had expected it to.

      Delete
    2. Oh I think this one is perfect. I was only thinking of smaller because of a no-bear but raccoon situation.

      Delete