Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Feeder fun!

Couldn't wait to check the new feeder, and was delighted to see birds loving it. Especially species that are ground feeders and prone to avoid the hanging feeder. I hadn't seen much of towhees this winter until today.


Green-tailed Towhee

White-crowned Sparrows

It's so popular that I'm wondering if we should have made six feeding ports instead of four. LOL  The above  photo has a bird on every port. Love it!


We had put only 20 lbs. of seed in it, so today I added another 20. It'll still hold at least 20 more lbs. I'll never have to worry about it going empty between visits. All great!


I've never dared to feed suet with all the critters around, but now thinking I could attach a bag of suet to the top of the bucket feeder. Gonna try it and see what happens, since it's finally out of reach of bears. I greased the pole again today, out of an 'abundance of caution.'

I'm a happy camper! It feels rather strange to swallow $450 worth of pills every day in a matter of seconds. (Paid for by our insurance) Seems like at that price it should be painful, or take a long time, or something. LOL Well, they are difficult to get out of the packaging. 😁


I'm sure my husband's hernia surgery in two weeks will wipe the smile from my face. For a while anyway. Lucifers soon, spring migration, bird groups scheduling visits starting next month, gonna be fun! It feels like winter is as good as over!

9 comments:

  1. The feeder is a success, you and Lee did so well. I can’t wait to see it live in action. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. A huge success, thankfully, because Lee really worked hard on it. All I did was paint it, and that was play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great addition to the bird fuel system. Good job!

      Delete
  3. Great news! enjoy the fruits of your (and your son's) labor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome feeder! Glad you found a way to win over the bears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really must get out there this Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any chance of getting any written plans for making such a feeder? My dad’s feeders in the mountains of Pennsylvania keep getting torn up by the black bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best. Email me and I'll tell you all I can. I posted the process on the blog, but may be able to add a few details in an email. And I can take closeup shots of the hinge mechanism when I'm at the oasis.

      Delete