Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Delicate balance

I like to keep our Alpine ponds easily accessible to birders, yet keep out the local playground crowds. I hate having to padlock it, since I run in and out many times daily, at times. So I had a sign saying, "Birders only." That didn't do a bit of good. The frolickers just tell me they like birds, if I say anything. (I've never met anyone that didn't like birds.) I doubt they understand the meaning of "birder."


A couple of days ago, I saw a woman trying to show her toddler how to throw rocks into the water, while her older son was happily tossing rocks into a pond. I went out and told her it was private property and they couldn't throw rocks in the water. As she left, she said she didn't know it was private property. I mentioned the sign says "birders only," and they weren't "birders." So I realized, even though her back yard most likely doesn't state "private property" on it; no one's in town does that I have seen, I needed to add yet another sign to the collection on the gate.



Today as I was going in and out, moving the water hose, I found a bunch of fist sized rocks near one pond that hadn't been there before. I hope I got them all picked up. My husband has a fit if he hits one with a mower. I'm not sure where the rocks originate. I know I had some artfully arranged ones at the water's edge of one pond for birds to perch on and drink from. Then contractors put up new utility poles all over town, which unearthed rocks that ended up being piled at the bases of the poles. One of the rocks today was so heavy it took both my hands to pick it up.


Ironically, some birders just bird from the alley outside the gate, not sure whether going inside is allowed. Most birders know it's fine to go in though.


In a few short weeks migration will begin and all this aggravation will be forgotten! Lee unloaded the mulch at the oasis today. Gonna take another pickup load down next week. Mulching is very important for habitat and birds. Well worth the trouble!



3 comments:

  1. So we should visit the Oasis at the end of February or March? We want to plan another trip to see you and the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn. I have visited the Oasis in past years. I recently moved to Fort Davis.?please send directions to Johnson Ponds, I would love to visit. judysims316@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete