Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, December 12, 2022

All over the place


First, I forgot to post the mistletoe photos I took at the oasis the other day. Cedar Waxwings are enjoying the berries. Usually I get to enjoy watching Phainopeplas enjoying them. Thinking maybe there was such an abundance this year that the Phainopeplas are overloaded.



I had photos of the Lewis's Woodpecker with a pecan in its beak, but today, while observing it eating a pecan, I was lucky to accidentally get a shot of a partially eaten piece of pecan in its beak.




It's for sure fun to get to see a new species, but it's equally fun to observe and learn the behavior and habits of them. While at the park where the bird is hanging out, I helped another birder find it and get his lifer Lewis's. All fun!


Dale and I are excited because her Purple Finch sighting got accepted. It wasn't good enough for us to be sure it was a Purple Finch; the experts had to agree. Here are her photos of the bird. She got better shots than I because it was in her yard for three days (Dec 4-6), and I was only there for long enough to see it briefly one time. It was a lifer for me.





After the park today, I dropped by the cemetery for a short look, and pretty sure I saw a Golden-crowned Sparrow, which would be a lifer for me. I couldn't get a photo from my vantage point inside the car and when I stepped out, the flock it was in dispersed. I couldn't relocate them. Tomorrow I'm going to try again.


4 comments:

  1. I wish you luck re-finding the Golden-crowned Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carolyn for your help in putting me on the Lewis's Woodpecker today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure was mine, Bob! I hope you got good photos. Thanks everyone for your comments!

      Delete