Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, May 26, 2023

Aftermath

It's great to go right from migration birding to odeing. Hasn't even been 24 hrs since the rain and the oasis is sporting lots of dragonflies. Like this California Spreadwing...



And this Russet-tipped Clubtail, which is a first for the oasis and the first I've personally seen in the Big Bend region.



Lest you think it's all fun and games here, I assure you I've had to slave away all day. First, hummingbird feeders all had to be replaced because that much rain water contaminates the solution. Then, I had to fill the seed feeders. Next, I dragged heavy pump and hoses to top off the reserve above-ground tank. About 10,000 gallons had been used from it after the stucco tank water had been used up. Too complex to explain the procedure I had to do, but it involves getting into this tank. 



Then, once the reserve tank was topped off I had to get into the tank, remove the pump and reposition it in the settling pond that loses water the fastest. The plan was to replace the 10,000 gallons I just took out.


While water was pumping, I picked up debris, raked misplaced mulch off the paths, pruned thorny branches that already were overtaking the paths, etc. It's amazing how soon after a rain the place becomes overgrown. I also got out my weedeater and cut the weeds from the paths. They literally grow like weeds. 


The Tree Tobacco bloomed, and one that I thought was dead shot up new growth.




This volunteer Retama out in the middle of the dragonfly pond was already blooming just from all the small rains we've been having. It would have probably been happier had we not got the big one.



Upper and lower dirt tanks.





4 comments:

  1. It is amazing to me how much physical labor you are able to do. I know I couldn't. It is probably painful at least the next day but perhaps it is what is keeping you strong. It is hard to complain about rain in the desert however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ❤️ the Christmas Mountains ⛰️ Oasis and the updates! I admire you, what a naturalist visionary you are! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete