Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

For the record

As I've said before, this blog is my photo-journal. I'm always looking things up in it. Great to have the search window. So when two screws in my implants broke, with the aid of this blog, I tracked down the history. My new prosthodontist (Dr. Boon) told me the only way those can break is if they're tightened too much. The two screws that broke happened to be the same two I wrote this about on December 11, 2018: 


"He really tightened them tight. I thought for sure he'd twist the implants right out of my jaw. So glad that's over!"


No coincidence! So basically, we're having to spend $20,000 to have new implants put in. Not to mention the ordeal of the procedure and being on a very soft diet for two months. But I'm grateful that I finally have an expert, and as close as Ft Stockton. I loathe the trip to Odessa. This dental surgery is scheduled to happen next week. Just trying so hard not to break the remaining two implants in the meantime. My husband is upset about the upcoming expenditure, too. 


In the early morning hours of May 15, the oasis got nearly an inch of soaking rain. No runoff. I was relieved, and glad that I hadn't watered two days prior, when I was scheduled to water. 


Today my son went to the oasis and found the hummingbird feeders empty. Apparently, the ocotillos are finally depleted of nectar. As he was hanging a feeder, my granddaughter snapped this photo of an impatient Lucifer. 



My son, and hopefully his daughters, are the future of the oasis, if it's to continue past my lifetime.


Meanwhile, in Alpine, after many months of nagging, my husband relented and had three new window panes put in my birdbath viewing room so I can take better photos. The old panes were real cloudy. 



The window has six panes.* Two were OK, three we had replaced, and the remaining one was only a little cloudy on its bottom edge. I can work around that. (It's the upper right pane in the above photos.) The lower right pane is a new one and the one I'll probably take most of my photos through. No interesting birds now that migration is over, but it won't be long before I get photos of rare birds through the new glass. Maybe rare hummers in August, for starters.


_________________________


*In case you're curious, the windows were about 50 yrs old and double-paned. When I built the birdbath, we removed the outer panes, as they were all white from water-staining through the years of having a sprinkler on them. Two of the panes remained sealed, so didn't get internal damage, but three of the others got varying amounts of damage. We scraped off what we could, but after a long time, the minerals actually embed into the glass.


4 comments:

  1. Glad you're keeping up with the body maintenance. It is a pain, but it keeps one running! Hey, Carolyn, you know you are a National Treasure, don't you? We all love what you've done and are doing! Belated Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 🙏🙏👍🙂🙋‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good news about the rain! Sorry for the ordeal with your implants, Carolyn! You’re truly an amazing woman and created a treasure with your oasis.

    ReplyDelete