Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Longer days and shorter nights


I always feel better when the days start getting longer.... just knowing it, even though I can't actually notice yet.

I went out to Mile High Road this AM in a futile attempt to relocate the Lewis's Woodpecker. I think it has moved on. But there are tons of bluebirds, Townsend's Solitaires and such. Here are the juniper berries that they're gorging on.


All junipers are not equal. The above photo is the female One-seed Juniper, and below is the male, which produces tiny cones, but no berries.


This amazing plant can grow tap roots up to 200 feet long. 


2 comments:

  1. Ann and I will be staying at Far Flung on Jan. 10-11-12. If you are around or banding somewhere maybe we can get to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great! I checked the calendar and we'll be banding only on the 7th and 8th that week, but maybe we can get together anyway. Be sure and check for the Blue-throated Hummingbird at Lajitas if it's still there. I doubt if it will be if Kelly bands it on the 7th as he plans to do.

    ReplyDelete