Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Fun Lajitas afternoon

This morning I inventoried odes and butterflies at CMO. I've posted lots of photos of Great Spreadwings but I thought this one was really nice. 


The only butterflies I saw at CMO this AM were a Common Mestra, Sleepy Orange, Fatal Metalmark, and Checkered Skipper. Pretty boring.

In the afternoon I went to Lajitas to visit my daughter and her husband who are staying there for a few days in their motorhome.


I made sure to get there early so I had time to play while I was waiting for them to get there from Austin. (White pickup is mine.) And even though I didn't allow enough prime afternoon time, I still had fun. Flushed an American Bittern, the first I've seen in Lajitas.


And finally the male Anna's Hummingbirds are beginning to arrive. I was starting to wonder if they would. I expect within a month they'll be swarming like bees at the feeders. I didn't get any good photos of a gorgeous male, just a documentary silhouette, unfortunately.



And not very good one of this juvenile male either.


I guess this is a flock of Coots foraging on the golf greens. I don't remember seeing that before.


No way was I going to be able to get to CMO before dark. (Chisos Mountains in below photo.)


By the time I got back it was dark and Common Poorwills were warming themselves in the road. I tried hard to get a decent photo of one. With my Lumix this was the best I could do.


So I tried with my Canon and this was the best I could do with it. Night shots are really challenging for me.


I took a bunch of ode pics today but don't know what they are and too tired to sort them out. Maybe tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment