Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Aster angst

I've spent many hours during the last couple of weeks trying to identify a lovely aster growing in the courtyard. At first I decided it was Plains Fleabane (Erigeron tracyi), then Big Bend Woodyaster (Xylorhiza wrightii), and now I've decided it's neither. I'm thinking some kind of Symphyotrichum. I posted it to a Facebook plant group so will update this post when I find out what they decide. Here is a photo of it (left) beside Fleabane (right).


Here is a photo of it's basal leaves.


My sister sent me a photo of a chapel in West Texas that I had never heard of. You'll need to click on this image if you want to read about it. I'm always surprised when I learn of an historic building in the Big Bend area that I hadn't known about.


And here's my son working in Austin today putting up a billboard.


And a couple of white flower species blooming at the oasis today. I know they're common ones, but I forgot their names. I'll look them up and add them later.

Wedge-leaf Tomostima (Tomostima cuneifolia)

Some kind of phacelia in the Borage Family

The ground is carpeted with blooms-to-be, and verbena is everywhere. It's gonna get good, and oh so overwhelming.
___________________

Jan 26 update: That first flower still hasn't been ID'd but my sister took a specimen to Dr. Powell so we'll eventually get it nailed down. The only suggestion I got from Facebook so far is that maybe it's Trans-Pecos Astranthium (Astranthium robustum).  


2 comments:

  1. Well, hmmm, I assumed it was probably you who mentioned the chapel on your blog a long while back which made me go research all this stuff once, but somehow or other, I heard about this tiny chapel & Phantom Lake Springs nearby & looked it up at one time. Calera Chapel has its own website, they've got a picture of what it looked like originally & people can contact the foundation which now controls it for admittance through an email address given on the website: http://www.caleratexas.org/index.htm

    And Phantom Lake Springs across the road there is really interesting. Descendants of people who ran a tourist camp there have put together a site with some wonderful old pictures & even documentation of family lore that John Dillinger had used their tourist camp as a hideout!

    http://www.phantomlakecamp.com/home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! Thanks! I love their website. Thanks for sharing it here. I need to update my blog with that info. Maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete