Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, January 31, 2019

New oasis flower species

This Filaree (Erodium cicutarium) is considered a common weed throughout the Trans-Pecos, but I was delighted to see my first one today.


I was having a devil of a time sorting it out from all the other weeds coming up. Of course, once they bloom it'll be easy. I think. So I picked a leaf of the Filaree and a leaf of something else that was everywhere to compare. As far as I can determine, only one other nearby plant is also Filaree.

Filaree on the left; Bipinnate Tansy-mustard on the right
Otherwise pretty dead, but a lovely day. I puttered around getting some things watered and pruned, etc. Saw my first oasis swallowtail for 2019.

Pipevine Swallowtail
It barely made it onto my January list. Eighth butterfly species for the month.



No comments:

Post a Comment