Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Another outing, another fall



I got behind on all the photos I wanted to post so will try to catch up some today. Went to Lajitas this morning and hadn't been there thirty minutes in my clean white clothes before I slipped in mud and went crashing down hard on my hip. Nothing broken, and not too sore....yet. If my hip was ever going to break, it would have then, I think. But what's the alternative? A wheelchair? No thank you.


Here's where it happened. The ground was all wet this morning from having had sprinklers on it. There were patches without grass. I walked on the patches repeatedly, and wasn't paying that much attention (obviously), and one of the patches sloped somewhat. Oops! My sleeve got muddy too but probably protected my arm from damage. I took the above shots of myself so couldn't do so good. By that last shot the mud had dried.


The place was very birdy today, perhaps because of the fire in Big Bend National Park. The birds had to evacuate to somewhere else. This is all that's left of the visitor's center at Castolon.


Saw a nice Phaon Crescent. A species I don't see all that often, and not in S Brewster Co. before.


Here's a lovely photo of the Rio Grande River that I've been meaning to share with you.

Photo by Rajesh Jyothiswaran
The camera crew is set up just inches from the Elf Owl cavity. It was pretty dark out when I shot this, so I had to lighten it a lot in photoshop to be able to see it. 


Last night Mac and I helped them catch scorpions. They're aiming at training the owl to eat the ones they put out so they can get footage of it catching a scorpion. Probably footage of me catching one would be more exciting. LOL

Here is a photo of a Lucifer Hummingbird taken at the oasis yesterday. It appears to have something wrapped around its leg and tail. I have no idea what!




No comments:

Post a Comment