Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, May 31, 2019

Killed myself yet again

Through the years I've constructed many water features and drips, etc. For one reason or another they never work out. Today Mac and I constructed a bird bath/drip. Hope it works out because it was a killer for me to do, even with Mac's help.


Hopefully, javelina won't destroy it. Originally, I had a drip going into the grotto I built behind this water feature, but vegetation grew there and obscured the view totally, so I quit using it. The water feature didn't originally leak, but now it does, so in order to keep water in it, it needs a drip. I don't mind the leakage because it waters the trees around it. And now that I have more water security with my new tank, I'm not as paranoid about spending a little water either.

Since putting a drip in it, I was always arranging and propping the hose etc, to make it look and work better. Then while I was in town for three days, Mac started arranging rocks around the drip for better photos. I knew it was time to bite the bullet. Today was the day. So many things to consider too. Not only aesthetics, but functionality. And even how the drip sounds. And maneuvering my crippled body in ways it doesn't want to go. And making the concrete stick where and how I want it to. We still need to do some tweaking on it.


Birds prefer a water feature in the shade but that's not as good for photography. But since that's where the birds come, that's where the photographers go, regardless. Not many days ago Mac got a great shot of a Black-capped Vireo there, so that's encouraging.

The main reason most of the others didn't work out was because they needed a recirculating pump and filtration system. Too difficult to maintain. This one doesn't need anything. Just comes from the hose I use to water with.

The project took us the better part of the day. Tomorrow we're going to the park for awhile. Hopefully, it'll rain so I don't have to water again. Misses me every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment