Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, March 30, 2020

Pandemic thoughts

It's hard to think of anything else these days. All birder visits and groups have canceled, so I thought I'd share my thought about COVID-19 one time, but as more is learned I'm sure my theories will change.

Past: I think the virus is more than just a non-living protein of RNA. I think it's the most primitive life form, before DNA. Probably something not yet recognized by science today as "life." Yet it depends on things that are alive in order to reproduce, so can't pre-date life. Way above my ability to understand. It's like, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Present: I think as a respiratory virus it has to be inhaled to infect us and the more of it we inhale, the worse the infection. It'll be here forever and our fear of it is more the fear of the unknown and of overwhelming the health care system if we all get it at once. And not yet having a good treatment. (So far fewer deaths have resulted worldwide from COVID-19 than we have each year in the US from any of the leading causes.)

Number of deaths in the US for leading causes of death:

  • Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173
 I think it is a mistake to tell people masks don't help. The government should have gotten thousands of people sewing mask a long time ago. If masks cause a person to inhale less of the virus, deaths could be prevented. Masks could remind people to keep their distance. At worst, they can't do harm. Don't you just naturally stay farther away from someone if they're wearing a mask? I put a dust mask inside my homemade 3-fabric layered mask, but some people use HEPA filters, or even coffee filters.


Future: Once more is known about the virus, and we can better treat it, it'll recede from our consciousness like other viruses pretty much do. But life will never go back to exactly how it was before.  Which is probably a good thing. I hope wildlife is enjoying this respite from human activity.

Oasis update: Things are greening up wonderfully. Quite a bit blooming. Huisache in the house courtyard is heavenly to the nose, and Lucifers nearby add joy for the eyes. Almost sensory overload. Wish I could share it with you all. I snapped these two photos as I was looking back one last time, reluctantly leaving for town, already missing the place.



_____________________________

UPDATE: I wore my mask to the grocery store today (Mar 31) during senior hour and it caused my face to itch horribly and nose run. I even ended up sneezing. Don't think I can go through that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment