Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

What's NOT happening at CMO

Got down here this morning to bee-covered feeders. The woodpecker is NOT leaving. I got stung while taking down a bee-laden feeder.

Also NOT happening is the roadwork. The contractor finally answered my texts and said maybe Thursday or Friday. So my hopes are up once again.

The cottonwood tree is covered with bees but that's NOT bothering me. It normally is as it starts leafing out.


The Mexican Redbud is starting to bloom too.


NOT happening is a nesting hole in the new agave stalk. Elf Owls are arriving this week. Neighbors to the south heard one last night. However, if the Ladder-backed Woodpeckers hurry they can still make it happen. The females are likely NOT arriving until next week and the woodpeckers can make a cavity quickly once they set their bills to it.

Saw my first Henry's Elfin of the year today, although NOT on the redbud tree where I expected to see it.


I realize how special the oasis is when I read how traffic-jammed the park is. Here I am, sitting in peace and quiet, watching Lucifer Hummingbirds.


UPDATE: Heard an Elf Owl at the oasis this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment