Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Tough times

It's hard to stay upbeat these days. Even though 9/11 didn't personally affect every American, it changed all of our lives forever. So will this pandemic, which does affect each and every one of us.

This morning I came to the oasis to service feeders and water trees. It's hot and dry here. Quite a few butterflies and blooms. The pond-weed is trying to make a comeback. Hope this is the year it'll get well established. Maybe then the Mexican Amberwings will return. So far haven't seen an ode this year.


A Ladder-backed Woodpecker enlarged the new hole in the new agave, but it's not deep yet. I don't think. Too high up to see inside.


Speaking of Ladder-backeds, I observed one drinking from a hummingbird feeder this morning. Between the two woodpecker species here, the feeders are hopelessly covered with bees. 

Usually coming to the oasis recharges my batteries, Today it seemed like it wasn't, but finally toward dark, after I finished watering trees, my spirits lifted a bit. Tomorrow I'm going to start patching the stucco tank.

Birding groups have canceled their visits to the oasis, which is the wise thing to do, of course, but I'll be glad when life gets back to normal. We all will, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment