Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Spreadwing ID problems

Some comet aficionados are calling Neowise the Covid comet because to ancient cultures comets were messages from the gods, with significance for good or bad. Here is a photo of the comet taken last night by a professional, James Lowrey, beside me on the big hill when I took mine that I posted previously. (Shared here with his generous permission.)

If you click on his photo you can make out the faint bluish, more vertical tail. That tail is caused by the sun's radiation that ionizes gasses, mainly carbon monoxide, as it vents from the comet. The resulting plasma is more susceptible to the sun's magnetic field, therefore creates a tail that streams more directly away from the sun.


Next subject: Spreadwing damselflies. Feel free to skip this part if it doesn't interest you. I'm hoping this will be a reference for me down the road in sorting them out. It, or they, are hanging out in the stucco tank where the vegetation extends into the water (see photo of tank posted July 15)

On July 15, I took this photo of what I was sure was a California Spreadwing. Now, I don't know why I thought that.  I had left my camera at the oasis so didn't post this photo until July 17th.


Then on the 18th, I thought I had relocated the "California Spreadwing" and took this next photo. Keep in mind it/they are way out across the tank so I can't take sharp photos, but a couple of pros with obscenely big lenses, did. When I see theirs it'll help with the ID(s).


Then today (July 19), I took two photos of what I again thought was the California Spreadwing. However, the last photo grabbed my attention. It's obviously a Chalky Spreadwing. So now I'm questioning what's going on here. All one spreadwing in different lighting? I don't think so.



I never saw two spreadwings at one time in the tank and each one was in the same area of the tank as the other sightings. I can't even see them with the naked eye. I have to scan the vegetation that hangs into the water with binoculars.

The question is, are any of my photos of a California? The one of the 18th looks the most promising. Sure glad that's the one the pros took photos of. The last photo is of a Chalky. (Note the bicolored pterostigma.) The other two with so much blue on them must be the Chalky. It doesn't look as light as that last photo, but could be the sun was just hitting it on the last one. But that brings up the problem of the pterostigma. Even in the shade the white patch on it would show and there's no evidence of that on any of my previous photos. To be continued.....


4 comments:

  1. Not sure what happened to first four comments. They disappeared on my end. Thanks a lot for information about setting. I managed to find them all and we’re ready for the comet. I googled the setting that mentioned pattern(it think is the word) and it means the camera scans the complete frame for best focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how your comet shots get. I'm going to try again Wednesday night.

    ReplyDelete