Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

It's rain or ration

Not far from the oasis coming down this morning

Today I watered a little less than I normally do. It's either going to rain soon, or I'll be rationing. While I watered a few nice birds showed up, but ever so briefly. It was the fog of war for a bit there. I flushed a bird when I went to move the water hose, but got a glimpse of its head when it landed not far away. I immediately said to myself, "Yellow-throated Vireo." A short while later it hopped around right in front of me, surely attracted to the running water at my feet. Almost too close to focus. I struggled to get a photo and snapped away, hoping I'd get something. Then, as I was looking through the viewfinder, I thought, "Oh, no, I'm photographing the wrong bird. This is a Townsend's Warbler. I would've sworn it was a vireo." So I began reviewing my photos, starting with the most recent I'd taken.... all "Townsend's" until the last one (the first one I'd taken) Yay, the vireo.



Later, I downloaded the photos to my computer where I could actually look at them and discovered the vireo was a White-eyed Vireo, and the warbler was a Hermit Warbler, not a Townsend's. A while later, I saw what I thought was a Townsend's again, but instead of taking a photo, I studied it with my binoculars to be sure. Yup, Townsend's. It departed before I could get a photo. Should've shot first and asked questions later. You'd think I'd learn. 


Hermit Warbler

While my son was here this past weekend the oasis had a bear visit, which I mentioned in my previous post. I located the scat and think there's very little birdseed in it, if any. Mostly persimmons, which is what I expected.




I'm sure acorns will be next on his menu.




2 comments: