Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, October 1, 2023

Bear-proof oasis

Knock on wood, of course! A bear visited the oasis and left only footprints. No damage. However, I've no doubt he took notice of the oak trees filled with green acorns and will be back. My son discovered these prints while I'm in Alpine.




I'm sure the bears are gorging on persimmons these days. Hope they leave some for the birds.


I've been in Alpine the last several days where I've enjoyed having a Virginia Rail. Got my first photos of one.



This morning I birded at a small lake between Alpine and Fort Davis (Musquiz). It was fun. I enjoyed watching a Green Heron plunge into the water repeatedly for fish (I presume). Something I don't recall seeing before. As far as I could tell, without success.





In a day or two I'll need to go water the oasis trees again.


4 comments:

  1. I've never seen the heron do that either, and I've seen them so many times, as you have I'm sure. The Virginia rail shot is very nice: congrats. Great paw prints, too. Hope your bears leave branches intact when they return. Have a great week ahead! -Ken in Alabama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bears leaving intact branches would be too much to ask for, but hopefully the branches will get stronger every year and the damage less.

      Delete
  2. Great GRHE captures. I hope the bears don't do to much damage

    ReplyDelete