Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, April 8, 2024

Eclipse at CMO

Although the eclipse wasn't total in our region, I think the birds acted pretty much the same as if it had been total. As the sky began to darken there was a noisy rush to feeders. Being so attuned to Lucifers in particular, I noticed their wingbeats sounded like they do when they do their last feedings for the day. I can't describe it, it just had that day's end sound.



Then when the eclipse was all the way in front of the sun, with just a sliver showing on top, all was still and dead silent. Eerily so. Maybe five minutes or so later, the sky began to lighten slightly and birds began to trickle back in. What gets me is that the sky wasn't as dark as if dark clouds were overhead. so there's more to their behavior than the darkness of the sky.


Lots of birds nesting. Here's one of a pair of Black-tailed Gnatcatchers feeding nestlings.



And here are a couple of birders, Julie and Courtney Campbell from Massachusetts, enjoying the eclipse with me at the oasis.




My above eclipse shot was taken on my camera using Courtney's eclipse filter. He put it back on his camera after my shot, which is why mine wasn't taken at the darkest point. It was very generous of him to lend me his filter. Without it, I wouldn't have any photos of the eclipse at all. Surely the last solar eclipse I'll see in my lifetime.


During the peak of the eclipse the solar water feature stopped working, but as the light started to increase this House Finch managed to find a drink at it. Our House Finches are the Mexican subspecies (Haemorhous mexicanus) and redder than those in other areas, but occasionally I see a yellow one like this one. Notice no sun to make the highlight in the eye that makes photos more pleasing.



Apparently, the yellow is diet related.


No comments:

Post a Comment