Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Mini staycation


A few days ago the bird migration radar showed that over 1,800,000 birds migrated over Brewster County that night (https://dashboard.birdcast.info/region/US-TX-043), so I decided to just spend a few days hanging out at home and birding here. The next few days were half as many or fewer migrants, and I didn't see many here, but it was a nice home vacation anyway. The weather was lovely and the ponds area was redolent with the aroma of Black Locust trees in blooms. Flowers everywhere! It felt luxurious!



The best species I saw was a pair of Red Crossbills. For once, I didn't get stuck taking photos out the window. In the lovely weather, I was wandering around outdoors when I came upon the pair relatively close up.




Also enjoyed watching a House Wren, or two, bathe over... and over. It's the first time I've see a House Wren bathe. Looks like two different individuals to me. Even with my naked eye one looked darker than the other. But I only saw one come to the water at a time.




Hard to believe within a week the busiest time of year will be upon me. I feel ready though! I'm not under any illusions that I'll have a minute to mini-vacation at the oasis when I get there in a few days, but I'll be a happy camper I'm sure! Big Sit Friday, large group Monday, and in between constant birders coming and going. Hope the birds cooperate! The frenzy will last for 2-3 weeks at least!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome ! Crossbills were great to have.

    ReplyDelete