Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, April 28, 2024

The "bonus bear!"

Matt Walter sent me a message after he left the oasis today, saying the rocks had been removed from beside the feeder when he got to the oasis around 9:30 this morning, and there was a pile of bear poop containing seed nearby. 

Photo by Matt Walter

So obviously the bear had figured out how to jiggle seed from the feeder, or access seed with its tongue or claws. I immediately made arrangements to go down tomorrow afternoon with my son and do something more to deter the bear. We thought we'd try putting an unwelcome mat down since the one at the hanging feeder seems to be working. 


Then awhile ago I got an email from another visitor today that had stayed after Matt left. She said, "What an awesome place you have!  We arrived at 8 am and stayed until about 4 pm. Lots of birds.  


Bonus bear, as well.  Around 2 pm we came back to the feeder area after a walk out beyond the wooded area. A large black bear was at the feeders.  It left, no problems.  At about 3:30 we were going to check the water feature in the woods.  The bear had decided to spend its afternoon laying on its back in the water.  We were all startled to see each other. But again, all was fine.  I have pics of the bear from the first meeting. "


Photo by Betty Stys

Well, clearly, a "bonus bear" isn't acceptable at all. Someone could get hurt. So we changed our plans and will arrive at the oasis at daylight in the morning, putting all our other morning plans on hold. I want to get any further damage that might occur tonight taken care of, besides doing what more we can to deter the bear before a large 10 AM group arrives.  I may never again say my feeders are bearproof! 

Here's a photo that Matt took today of a female Lucifer. I love that it shows how rufous-colored some of the females are. And some are so pale they're almost white. 


He also took this nice photo of a Black-throated Gray Warbler at CMO. It's a species I've only documented there a couple of times before.



1 comment:

  1. I didn't see the bear - but he definitely looks well-fed!

    ReplyDelete