Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, April 11, 2024

Exciting oasis adventure!

Recently, my intrepid sister and her daughter (Julie & Gaby) discovered a nesting pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers on our properties. Previously, I hadn't been aware that they ever nested here. When I did a little research I could find no record of nesting in the Christmas Mountains. So I was determined to get up the slope to the nest.



Couldn't have made it if my wonderful sister hadn't carried my heavy pack. I'm very grateful!!! Next is a photo she took of me doing my thing.



I was determined to stay a respectful distance from the nest so as to keep the impact on the birds as minimal as I could. That meant perching precariously on a crumbly talus-like slope. Under the challenging circumstances, I'm satisfied with my results... for now. If the eggs hatch I want to take feeding shots in a few weeks. Maybe a good photographer who has knees that work will be persuaded to go with me. Meanwhile, here are the results of my labor. Of course, a labor I love!


Blue-gray Gnatcatcher near nest

Nest with one egg barely visible (in Evergreen Sumac)

Bird headed to nest

Bird on nest

In order to do the trek today, my son had to water the oasis trees. Julie and Gaby even helped Ann up to near where I was perched so she could share in the adventure. The nest is technically on her land. It was a family affair!


6 comments:

  1. So nice! You are a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool, Carolyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work for the birding world Carolyn, the photos are great! And kudos to your sis and niece for being part of it.

    ReplyDelete