Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Varied Bunting day

Lots of birders coming and going. Not many migrants yet at all. A visitor this afternoon expressed that she really wanted to see a Varied Bunting. She even sported Varied Bunting earrings.

 


I told her that none had been reported from the oasis this year yet, but one could show up... "I thought I heard one singing earlier," I added optimistically. 


She finally decided to give up and leave, remarking that I should say "hi" to the Varied for her when it showed up. I said I would, and I'd chastise it for not showing up for her. Not five minutes later one showed up and took a long bath in front of us. I'm sure her one hundred plus photos are better than the couple I snapped, and she left a happy camper.



Everyone enjoyed seeing a Lark Bunting in its summer plumage.




4 comments:

  1. Great story Carolyn. I’ll take the lark bunting any day! Haven’t seen one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story about the Varied Bunting warmed my heart. It could not have been better if it was scripted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rats - we missed it! Next time we'll have to stay longer. We really, really enjoyed the Lucifer Hummers, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really hated that you missed it too. Just have to come back!

      Delete