Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Adorable couple

I did the 4 hour round trip from Alpine to Lajitas again this morning in hopes of getting better photos of the Broad-billed Hummingbird. Even though I got lots of photos of it, none were better than my previous attempts. Unless it gets out in the sun, that probably won't happen. It feeds at shaded feeders, and in between, hunkers down in bushes.


 At least it, as well as the Blue-throated, are still there. In fact, there was another big surge of Anna's ahead of this impending front. This week they were mainly females. Last week they were mainly males. But it's normal for the males to migrate a week or two ahead of the females.


On the above photo, I think that's the Broad-billed on the right side of the feeder. (You can see another bird approaching in the upper left.) It's such chaos that this photo was just one of many random feeder shots I took to see how many I could get on a picture at one time. Today the most was 5.

Here is a photo I snapped of a couple as they watched hummers at the feeders. I didn't realize until I downloaded it that the couple were holding hands as they shared the thrill of seeing hummers up close, maybe for the very first time.


I should have taken more shots of this. I might have captured when a hummer was feeding, or them smiling at one another or something. Always so many missed opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment