Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, January 6, 2014

Alpine...CMO...Lajitas

I'm stuck in Alpine today but plan on going to CMO tomorrow. Then, Wednesday Kelly and I are planning on banding in Lajitas. This morning it got down to 16° in Alpine. I think it was much the same at CMO, and around 34° at Lajitas.

I'm kind of hanging around town hoping to schedule a dentist appointment in Odessa this week and trying to arrange it so I'm not driving so far. Odessa is a 3 hour drive from Alpine, and a 5 hour drive from Lajitas. You get the idea.

So I've been reduced to enjoying Lajitas vicariously. Here are a couple of shots I found on the internet. The first one is how it looked about 30 years ago, and the next one is much as it looks today.



That area used to be called the boardwalk and was really dusty from vehicle traffic. 

I've always had dreams of the owners putting in a wonderful birding habitat. About 15 years ago (I lose track of time) they started an ambitious birding habitat, but to my dismay, were going about it wrong. It all washed out in a big flood and hasn't been attempted again. I'm contemplating trying to get it done in the right way. They can now see how their guests love to watch and photograph the hummingbirds. That's a start.

Here's a photo of part of the golf course. I don't know when it was taken, but probably 10-20 years ago.



6 comments:

  1. In the top picture, Crazie Angies would have been to the far right somewhere the boardwalk. It was a real fun place back then.
    We will be looking at those hummingbirds probably Friday or Saturday (or both) mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll plan to go there Friday morning to help you find them. Since Kelly will be banding there Wednesday, sometimes the hummers leave after being banded.:( We'll just have to see.

      Delete
  2. Sandy/Alpine and OdessaJanuary 7, 2014 at 8:35 AM

    We haven't been down there in years, not since all this new stuff was put in. Rather distressing to see all of the grass and green in such an arid area. I would guess they're pumping tons of water out of the river??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I imagine they're pumping from the river. I do know they have at least one huge well that uses a big gas pump which feeds the stream into the golf course ponds. I don't know what all their water sources are, but will find out.

      Delete
  3. I rather liked it the way it was 30 years ago!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's better bird habitat now though, and not as dusty.

    ReplyDelete