Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

The summit

Finally, I got so tired of stressing about doing the climb that I just up and did it. In the middle of the day.... mistake number one. It was a killer. I made a couple other mistakes too. This country is unforgiving and one more mistake may have done me in. Here's me finding a little shade to rest my head in as I neared the summit. Got up to 97° today.





























Then almost at the top, I found a nice shady spot and had to really force myself out. That little persimmon tree was loaded with green persimmons. I wanted to just lay there and watch them grow.


Mistake number two was forgetting to carry aspirin. Just in case of heart issues or something. The other mistake I made was not double-checking my water bottles. I intended to carry three, but had put the third one in my pack empty. Was going to fill it from the jug in my pickup before I started the climb. Only didn't. But I made it fine (water-wise) on two bottles.

Summit is area labeled 4600'

Click to enlarge. Trail ends at saddle.
Here's the pour-off viewed from the top. There's a valley between the summit and the pour-off that doesn't show on this photo.


My goal was to see Ursine Giant-Skippers. I didn't find out until I got back down that they quit flying around 2 PM. Coincidentally, that's about the time I arrived at the top. If, and that's a big "if," I ever attempt that climb again, I'll start early in the morning.

Saw a few Black Swallowtails and Marine Blues. That's about it butterfly-wise.


On the way down I startled a herd of Aoudad. They were a mile away before I could even get my camera out of my backpack. There were at least 20 of them. This is all I got. They were too fast.


On the way to town late this afternoon I stopped by the Burrowing Owl's den. But once again I flushed it trying to locate the burrow. I hope to do better next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment