Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Drifting along

Came to the oasis today. Watered some. Saw a few interesting flowers, but some weren't blooming, so will check them again tomorrow. Meanwhile, I saw a lovely Shortfruit Evening Primrose (Oenothera brachycarpa) blooming.


This next plant has been coming up in the courtyard for years but I wasn't into plants enough before to ID it. The digital Brewster Co. guide that I made last winter is very helpful. Trouble is, Powell shows the plant for this area as Arenaria ludens. His book doesn't have a photo of that species and I can't find one online, but based on other similar Arenarias, I feel confident that's what it is. Common name is Trans-Pecos Sandwort. It grows in a mat like a groundcover almost like moss, and is in the Pink (or Carnation) family.


I used a magnifying glass to photograph the close-up of the ever-so-teensy flower. Could have done better if someone had been here to hold the magnifying glass while I held the camera, focused the camera, and depressed the shutter.

Lots of Lucifer Hummingbird courtship displaying going on. I had the best photo op ever of the action but my camera went black for some reason. I put in a new battery. Didn't help. Then I fiddled with all the knobs and buttons and it finally started working. But too late for a photo. The female was perched about 10 feet from me, in the open, and the male displayed for the longest I've ever seen. The only consolation I had was that it was an overcast day and his gorget wasn't very spectacular.


I wonder if the reason for that orangish color on his side is due to the overcast sky. I don't recall seeing that before. Hmmm... Nature is always so fascinating.

The Tree Tobacco plants all looks great! As it gets warmer they should grow faster.


And verbena are everywhere.


Bluebonnets are everywhere too, even along Snake Road coming to the oasis, but none at the oasis. (The white flowers are Bicolor Mustard.)


Due to the lack of sun and not very warm, and now wind, not much butterfly activity. Hope that changes soon.



4 comments:

  1. Looks good. Wish I could have stayed longer. But, have my new O2 concentrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got home safely and got fixed up. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carolyn,
    Might that plant be chickweed?
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. You raise a good question, Carla. I'm not sure. I need to do further research. I think the sandwort has 5 petals and chickweed has more. At least they're both from the same family. I need to find out. I suspect I may have both mixed in together. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll amend the post at some point if it is chickweed.

    ReplyDelete