Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Last day of Hummingbird Celebration

Sunrise
Today was a good day at the oasis. The weather was a little cooler than it had been and another awesome group of birders arrived. I had been wondering how the parking area would work during the festival and it worked great. Each day had about 8 cars and it wasn't so crowded that people couldn't maneuver. None too big though. Forgot to take a photo, but it would look similar to yesterday's. The new bird bath was popular with birds and birders.


The PASTEL * archilochus was still there, but real secretive.


I had seen only two darners. One was a Common Green and the other was a female mosaic darner that I hadn't been able to get a photo of to ID. So when we saw an Olive-sided Flycatcher with a darner in its beak, I was hoping it was the Common Green, but feared at the great distance I wouldn't be able to get an IDable shot. But I can see it is the Common Green. I didn't have time to look for the other darner. I'd guess it was a Blue-eyed Darner.




_________________________________

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273348895_What_Colour_is_that_bird_The_causes_and_recognition_of_common_colour_aberrations_in_birds?fbclid=IwAR2KOIxjB54cQt-7kjYpqhVN87PcRi2RD_G6V6Ch3ZQV_q-zQUBzfHufdHA

No comments:

Post a Comment