Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Still fighting adversity

My rain dance didn't impress the sky gods. Three miles to the south of the oasis got over an inch last night and the oasis only got a quarter-inch. So I dragged hoses around watering all day today. Using my little pump since the one installed in the stucco tank wouldn't come on at all. For a year or two it's been intermittent, but if I keep the pressure from building up and cutting off the switch by running two hoses, I can water fairly efficiently. But now something else is wrong. So an electrician is supposed to come by tomorrow afternoon or the next day.

While watering, I carry my camera and snap photos. Keeps watering from being onerous. Here are a couple of female pondhawks.

Common Pondhawk, formerly Eastern

Great Pondhawk
An interesting unknown bug...


I'll try to do better tomorrow. At least I'm not short on water. It could be worse. 
_________________________________

Update: Brian says the bug is a carrion beetle (silphidae) larva. Thanks, Brian.


No comments:

Post a Comment