Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, March 10, 2023

A day to forget

Yesterday seemed to be going so well. Weather was perfect, and I was excited to get to the oasis to water, even though for a couple of months now I've had bad pain in my right foot. I thought with a cane, it'd be fine. But it turned out that I couldn't drag heavy hoses, refill feeders, etc. using a cane. So I just endured, as I have been doing for months.  It keeps getting worse.  Can't use a cane all the time anyway or it makes my shoulder hurt too much. (Long time followers will remember I quit carrying a heavy Canon camera that I loved because of the weight to my shoulder.) So, hoping to get it x-rayed when I can get in to see a doctor. They're so backed up. When I was at my doctor a couple months ago and brought it up, she said probably arthritis, and mostly brushed it off.


But then I got to thinking, and researching. It only hurts if I put weight on the foot. Otherwise, I can bend it fine. I have high arches and the pain seems to originate in the area of the navicular bone (aka nutcracker) above the arch. I've always had a habit of skipping the lowest rung of a ladder, jumping down off  low walls, etc. Age caught up with me. I figure it's a well-earned stress fracture.  Resting it seems to be all that helps. I've tried boots and stuff.


So anyway, I was dealing with that. Then a door handle broke off my pickup. Next, as I was trying to review 200 video clips from my game cam, my oasis computer kept freezing up. It's so slow that rebooting it was taking forever. Time I didn't have. Some of the clips seemed to have parts of interesting birds on them. (Had to adjust the camera again, hoping this time the whole bird will show.)  



Therefore, I decided instead of spending the night, as planned, I'd rush through watering and get to my town computer. Just before I reached Hwy 118, I couldn't remember if I had turned the pump off. No choice but to go back. Nearly dark by then. I'm not comfortable driving at night. My eye focus is slow. Like going from outdoors to indoors, it takes a while before I can see. Turns out I had left the water on, so it's good I went back. 


Driving to town on the highway, my foot hurt so bad I couldn't work the accelerator. I know the road so well that I never use brakes, just adjust my speed accordingly. Unless traffic, or at the border check point. Or deer. No traffic, so I used my left foot on the accelerator, driving slower than normal. Braked at the checkpoint with my right foot, as I normally do, and noticed that my foot pain had subsided quite a bit. So I continued on the last 15 miles in my comfortable normal mode. Still I went slower, so as not to make it start hurting. 


Getting closer to town, I saw an oncoming car. I think the driver dimmed his lights, but his type lights were still blindingly bright. All I could see was black and his glaring lights. As we approached closer, almost to the point of going past one another, I saw two big deer standing in, and blocking, my lane. Couldn't swerve around into the other lane because of the approaching car, and the ditch was steep with a rock cliff beside it. All I could do was slam on the brakes. Not sure how aggressively, because of my foot, but everything in the pickup flew forward, and the ice chest in the back flipped over.


I hit the deer with a sickening thud just as the oncoming car passed by me. The deer went tumbling into the oncoming lane a split second behind the passing car. I don't think either deer hit it. I had never hit a deer before. The car pulled over. I pulled over. I sat there a minute. Car was working fine; lights fine. Decided to limp on home, keeping an eye on the temperature gauge. The other car went on too when they saw I did. Normally I'm not a procrastinator, but I just dreaded having to face the damage.



Couldn't believe my eyes when all that was damaged was my old cracked plastic grill. Cracked from hitting an owl a few years back. My son ordered a new grill online for less than $100 and he'll install it. Boy, did I dodge a bullet!


Then at the house, I didn't have the SD card that I had come to town to review. I had somehow gotten cards mixed up and brought an empty one. I feel like such a dysfunctional mess. Maybe when I finish the hep meds and my foot heals, life can get back to normal, whatever that is. I think the meds give me some fatigue, but it might be age and pain. It's not like I'm going to leave this world in a pristine body. LOL


11 comments:

  1. Things will get better. Glad you weren’t hurt hitting the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Carolyn! Please take care of your health! Nothing else is nearly as important! So glad you weren’t hurt…Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Greg and Gail. I was going too slow to get hurt, but I would hate to mess up my vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a day you had, Carolyn! I'm working 6 days a week at the museum during Spring Break, but let me know if there is anything I can help with on a Sunday. Definitely looking forward to getting back to the Oasis! ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, be careful what you ask for, I may just take you up on that!

      Delete
  5. That was a close call. Am so glad it didn't turn out worse and hope you'll feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh just reading this hurt my heart for you Carolyn. Hell of a day to forget. I hope you can get that foot healed up! So important. Please take an easy day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Carolyn! You did have a day! I've hit a deer too and it's scary, glad you came off without too much damage and you're safe! Keep us posted on your foot issue. I have high arches also and the same pain. My podiatrist says my arches are falling....I'm sure that's true, but I think there's more going on.
    Above all, take care of yourself. Leigh Baker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all. Leigh, I hadn't even thought of falling arches. Gonna research it. Would love to learn more about what helps you and what's going on with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a crazy day! So thankful you didn’t have a major accident with the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn, hang in there girl!

    ReplyDelete