Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Trying to heal

In 2014, I planted seeds I had obtained of the only cold hardy citrus that might survive our winters, Trifoliate Orange. They have survived, and now one of them is blooming. It's one of the two I planted in the courtyard. I still water it, even though I don't live there anymore. Those I planted at the oasis haven't bloomed yet. Hoping though.



And some of you may remember that in 2017 I made the mistake of cleaning out the big tank. I've regretted it ever since. It had lots of mud in it, which we removed, but along with the mud went all the pondweed (Longleaf Pondweed, I think) that I so love. I had assumed it would come back. Didn't happen. Several times I've taken some from a friend's pond and planted it in my tank. I had some started in 2020, but it didn't survive. Now, fingers crossed again, it looks like this time it'll take. Perhaps there wasn't enough mud in the tank until now. (For more on the oasis pondweed do a search for "pondweed" in the search window.)



Surrounding the pondweed is something else. No idea what it is, maybe some type of  Stuckenia or Zannichellia



Occasionally I've had a different pondweed species. I think it's Illinois Pondweed. This photo is from 2019.


Had hoped to spend my few days in town resting my foot. Doing the best I can, which is better than the previous couple of months, but so much needs doing. I couldn't stand the car being so filthy, so washed and vacuumed it. Also rinsed off my pickup. Didn't want to take it to the shop next week so filthy. And couldn't put off servicing the duck nest. I think one duck is already off somewhere laying eggs.


I put fresh hay in it. Last year's hay was gone. Then I covered one end with chicken-wire, hoping to deter racoons and skunks, beside keeping the hay from ending up in the water.

Blogging rests my foot though!

2 comments:

  1. I know sometimes it is more difficult to put something off than do it when it starts nagging your brain. Still, I hope you get to rest your foot. You do need your foot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom McCoppin https://mccuration.com/March 12, 2023 at 5:08 AM

    Carolyn, your energy, fierce determination, a good cheer are inspiring! Thank you for sharing your life and your Oasis....

    ReplyDelete