Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, March 13, 2023

Good day, all in all

The Big Bend area is experiencing one of the busiest times of year... spring break. Traffic in Big Bend National Park is bumper to bumper, with long waiting lines. Often it means a vehicle can't go into the Chisos Basin, for example, until another vehicle leaves the basin.



Meanwhile, birders at the oasis can experience great birding along with quiet solitude. Today hosted happy birders all day long, nine being the most there at one time. They all got to witness Lucifer Hummingbirds mating. That makes me happy to know! One comment said, "...the rough road is more than worth it. Lots of lifers for everyone and great looks at many different species." 


I plan to get to the oasis sometime tomorrow afternoon and spend the night. I got my grandson to wire a temporary grill to my pickup, just in case I hit a bird or something. It's a refrigerator shelf that was lying around, waiting for me to find a need for it. Tomorrow morning my new door handle will get installed.



Here in Alpine, I had a good birding day, too. The highlight was a pair of Cassin's Finches. While not a great photo, this is the best one I've gotten of a male Cassin's so far. The main problem with my new bird bath is that I'm facing into the sun when taking photos. Maybe when the grape arbor above it greens up it'll block some of the sun.



I don't see any improvement in my foot. Only 21 more days of hep meds. Yay! I suspect  they're at least contributing to my fatigue, if not the cause of it.


3 comments:

  1. I wish you would get well quicker, Carolyn! Glad to see the CAFI - I had a male at my feeder yesterday…Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe and productive trip to The Oasis tomorrow. I love your solution to your front grill. You are such a treasure for allowing so many of us to experience The Oasis. Thank you again. Can’t wait for my next trip.

    ReplyDelete