Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, June 6, 2019

A brutal day!


Last night around 11 PM I gassed up the pumps and went to bed. I figured I could finish the pumping this morning, and I was desperate for sleep.

So at 7 AM I gassed up the pump in the upper dirt tank, started it, and it would not pick up the water. I tried every trick I could think of. I figured the intake basket was probably stuck in the mud since I had no time to clean it in between the two big rains. Even though it had worked fine yesterday. So I got into the tank with the hope of unsticking it. The hose to it was buried in mud but the intake was clean. So I spent hours of torturous work for nothing.


Eventually, with Mac's invaluable help, we disconnected the 3" pump and connected a 2" pump.


It was noon before we had water heading toward the lower dirt tank. In the process my feet were torn to shreds and I ripped open a finger. So many things went wrong today. But I have my water, and have it where I want it.

Dragonfly pond

Large concrete tank
Not enough energy to photograph the stucco tank (full) and lower dirt tank (half full). Mac also photographed some bats in the courtyard, but neither of us knows what kind they are.




I'm going to rest and heal in town for 3 days, then I hope to be able to enjoy looking for dragonflies at the oasis. By then mosquitoes will be miserable, but that should make for good dragonflying.



2 comments:

  1. Mac needs some kind of award. He takes great photos. And evidently will work his ass off. I was trying to think of a polite way to phrase that, but perhaps the vernacular is best. As for you, you're just nuts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he's always handy to have around, but yesterday I feel like I couldn't have done it without him. I probably am nuts! What gets me is that all that work in the tank was for nothing. If I had unstuck the intake, it would have at least had a reward. Mac has physical issues and limitations, but he does the best he can do. He's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete