Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, June 24, 2019

A lifer ode, sort of

The oasis looks lovely but it's really hot, has mosquitoes, and very few birds or butterflies, although a fair number of dragonflies. (The latter love mosquitoes.)





So I'm spending more time in town than normal. No need keeping ACs going at two places. Plus our television in town isn't working right. My tech-illiterate husband depends on me to keep stuff like that operating. I'm still working on it. Meanwhile, I ordered a new TV just in case. 

After I got to town I was working on the TV project and forgot to download the photos I had taken this morning before leaving the oasis. Awhile ago I finally remembered. One particular ode photo I couldn't ID, so I sent it to my dragonfly guru, Tripp Davenport. He ID'd it as a California Spreadwing. I had that species at the oasis once before, in 2012, but I didn't get a photo of it. Only even knew about it because of someone else's photo. Coincidentally, that someone was Tripp. And his was a first Texas record. Since then a handful more have been documented in Texas at the Sibley Nature Center in Midland.

It's sort of a lifer for me. I was beside Tripp when he photographed the one in 2012, but had paid no attention. At the time we both thought it was a Southern Spreadwing. California Spreadwing isn't even in my Texas damselfly guide. Wish now I had taken better photos of it. Will I ever learn? I saw and photographed so many spreadwings recently that I just took quick snapshots of most of what I saw, just in case, but no serious photos like I would have if I had known it was something different. 


Now it makes me want to go back down there and get better photos of it. Don't know if I can. I have commitments here Tuesday and Thursday. Will go back Friday for sure.

I don't recall ever losing anything before, so I refuse to let my new iPhone out of my hand. Meet my third hand.





No comments:

Post a Comment