Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, June 23, 2019

And then there were none


Yesterday Mac told me there were baby [Say's] Phoebes in the courtyard, and when I got down here early this morning I saw four on the patio being fed by the adults.  An hour later my son arrived with a friend to see the place. During the tour I proudly pointed out the baby birds. Then I persuaded my son to go down to the oasis to fix an electrical problem. The friend stayed in the house. When we got back a short while later (electric problem solved) we were shown his friend's cell phone shots of the babies being eaten by a Western Coachwhip Snake. I did see one baby left, but don't know if it's still around or not. Not sure I even want to know.


On a brighter note, I know I've posted enough owlet photos lately (thanks to Mac) but his last night's capture is too cute for words! We believe the other one fledged and this one was left in the cavity last night but has surely followed its sibling by now.


UPDATE: No sign of any baby phoebes in the courtyard.

I guess you could compare losing my iphone to childbirth. It was worth all the pain because now I can make cell phone calls and texts from my wifi at CMO.


No comments:

Post a Comment