Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Good and not so good!

The good is a new oasis dragonfly species, Halloween Pennant.


The not so good is that my dragonfly pond is dry. That's where my Citrine Forktails were hanging out. I feel certain I'll get monsoons yet this summer so am tempted to squander some of my water to put some in the dragonfly pond, but it's against my principles. Just can't bring myself to do it. When it does rain, it'll fill up and dragonflies will return to it.

Good and not so good, both, is that I saw a lifer dragonfly in Alpine today, but couldn't get a photo, so can't count it. I know it had to have been a Spangled Skimmer, since it had a very dark head, all blue thorax and abdomen and white pterostigma. I waited an hour for it to return after my one brief sighting but it never did. And had to come to the oasis to service feeders and water.

Also good and not so good is that I saw a California Spreadwing at the oasis late this afternoon but could not get a decent photo of it. For some reason the flash on my camera doesn't work. I know it's a California Spreadwing, but not sure it'll be accepted by the vetters.


And also not so good is this amberwing. It looks almost like a Mexican Amberwing, but I just don't think it is. One of these days one will show up though. Just wish my pondweed would come back. It all disappeared in the rain three weeks ago when the tank filled up. Not even sure it will come back.

Probable Eastern Amberwing


No comments:

Post a Comment