Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Hurt my knee

I decided to go to Balmorhea today looking for dragonflies. It was a disaster. I went to the State Park first and the ponds there are still closed for construction. Then went out Boy Scout Road to a pond there. They were resurfacing the road and I had to follow a pilot car crawling along for nearly the whole 11 miles. I was the only vehicle on the road other than the highway department vehicles.


Then when I stopped at the pond the pilot pickup came back checking on me and wanting to know how long I was going to be there. I promised them I would drive carefully and not touch the new surface. They were all driving on it though, so I don't really get it. They warned me to be careful of snakes. And continued checking on me periodically.


Then, while scrambling around on slippery rocks downstream, I thought by weighing every step carefully I'd be fine. My mind weighed it fine. My body just didn't have the physical strength to stabilize me like I expected and demanded it to. So I fell and hurt my knee and doused my camera. I hope that by not turning it on for a couple of days it'll dry out and work. But I don't have a backup so if I see something good at the oasis tomorrow, it's going to be tempting to turn it on. I have to service the feeders and water tomorrow, assuming I'll be able to. Can't really even walk at the moment. Didn't see any interesting odes either. I'm just going to have to slow down my pace from now on. I really should have hung the camera from my neck and not my shoulder. I could have kept it from falling into the water if I had. I got it out quickly. Just don't know what damage yet. I know the battery and SD card were wet. But as bad as it was, it could have been much worse.

Young female Painted Damsel

No comments:

Post a Comment