Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, July 12, 2019

Toady today

Not only did I get an oasis toad today, but two oasis toads plus a mystery bird! I arrived at the oasis at 8 AM. Mac showed me a photo he had taken before I arrived of a tiny Red-spotted Toad.


Of course I was delighted. Next we went down to the oasis, as I was anxious to locate a California Spreadwing, There Mac showed me a photo of a myiarchus flycatcher he had shot earlier. He said it was being harassed by the Ash-throated Flycatchers for the last several days.


It was only natural the tail reminded me of a Nutting's Flycatcher. But of course I could never have that species at the oasis. About that time several flycatchers popped into view as they harassed the one that Mac thought was different. We knew the Ash-throated Flycatchers. So what could the one being harassed by them be? I wasn't very knowledgeable on myiarchuses. It looked only slightly different from the harassers. I dismissed it and went about locating the spreadwing.

Some time later I went up to the house for brunch and a nap. When I returned around 1 PM I noticed Lee Hoy visiting with Skip Hobbie (one of the PBS videographers). Suddenly, I heard a strange bird call coming from the wooded area at the back water feature. The others didn't seem to notice, so I interrupted Lee to investigate with me. Mac and Skip are photographers, not birders.

We discovered the same myiarchus being harassed by the Ash-throateds. Stupidly, I didn't attempt to record the call. After a while the bird left the vicinity and Lee played a recording of a Nutting's call. He was certain that was the call we heard. Later I found out that Nutting's and Ash-throateds were once the same species and can only be told apart reliably by voice. I had seen and heard a Nutting's in Big Bend National Park some years back when it was a first Texas record. Pressure and stress.

 We never relocated the bird. Gotta hope it returns in the morning and vocalizes. Someone with the proper recording equipment will be here just in case. Otherwise, I don't know if the records committee will accept the sighting based on Lee's and my recollections.

I found a cute little lizard that I haven't gotten ID'd yet. Maybe some type of baby Spiny Lizard.


Late this afternoon as we were heading for our vehicles to call it a day Mac discovered a teensy toad. Maybe a Texas Toad.


I'm exhausted!


________________________

Lizard ID'd as a juvenile Greater Earless Lizard.

2 comments:

  1. I love toads. Glad to see some thriving...or at least there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if I've been overlooking them all these years. They are really tiny, like the size of a quarter.

    ReplyDelete