Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Can't keep up

I worked hard today trying to catch up. Just when I think I'm winning, my car won't start. An old battery I assume. I'll get it jumped tomorrow and get it to town for a new battery. Always something. Happened late this afternoon when I was so exhausted, but I cleaned the battery posts just in case, then had to walk up the hill to the house. Before I head to town I need to finish watering in the morning. No nap today either. Really dragging.

The warblers come through when the acacia bloom. I'd say it's 2 to 4 days away from blooming, so soon. Meanwhile, lots of blackbirds and stuff. Here's how the acacia looks today. Close to blooming.


It was too dark for my camera when I photographed this Elf Owl in the courtyard this evening.


I can't figure out what the deal is with my pondweed. Out in the middle of the tank there's what looks like root masses but no leaves. It appears to have blooms on it. Whereas the pondweed at the edge of the pond has leaves and no blooms. I've posted several pictures of it with leaves, which are now dying from lack of water. Here is the mass of something that has me confused.



I don't know if they're the same species or not. I do think I have two species of pondweed, but both bloom and look similar, so I don't know. Hopefully, I can figure it out. I just want the pond covered with leaves like it used to be before we cleaned it out. My theory is that the leaves keep the water cooler and healthier, which should cut down on evaporation, but I don't really know.I think this is all  Longleaf Pondweed (Potamogeton nodosus). And I think there's probably not enough mud on the bottom for it to thrive yet. Oh, well, can't have both a clean tank and pondweed it seems.Now that I have the new above ground tank for storage I plan to let more mud accumulate in the big tank for pondweed. Eventually the whole tank will fill with silt, but not in my lifetime. Nothing is forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment