Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Oasis keeps chugging along

The highlight of the day for me was discovering a bunch of the Tree Tobacco blooming already.


A lot of stuff is blooming but not like it does after monsoonal rains. Still looking good. The biggest Texas Madrone is full of blooms already too. And so is the Canyon Cherry (Prunus serotina).


Not much change in the pond-weed since I last posted a photo of it, but I'm happy that it's doing so well. It's a bit of a sacrifice to do it the way I am, but should be worth it.*


My 20 year old grandson and his 20 year old girlfriend have Corona virus. So far mild cases. Hoping it'll stay that way. I heard Dr Fauci say on TV that they estimate 50% of everyone in our country have it but are asymptomatic. 
_________________________________________

*The downside to using the above ground tank before the big in-ground tank is:
1) The water that's subject to evaporation should be used first before half of it is lost to evaporation.
2) The in-ground tank will catch monsoonal rainfall and save it; the above ground tank won't, so I could end up harvesting less water when the big rain comes, if the above ground tank has room for a lot, and the in-ground one doesn't have as much room.
3) Rain replaces what I pump out of the in-ground tank with no pumping needed. To fill the above ground tank, I have to set up a pump, gas it up, and all that hassle.

The upside to using it is:
1) Looks good to have lots of water in the big tank.
2) Will help the pond-weed get established, which is great for dragonflies, especially the Mexican Amberwing.
3) Way easier to take water from the above ground tank. No pumping or setting up a pump, now that I have the hose hooked up to it. It gravity drains.


No comments:

Post a Comment