Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, November 4, 2022

Birding saga

After a blah fall migration, winter birding is looking like it'll be good. Already is, for that matter. Instead of being satisfied that I photographed the American Woodcock last night after dark, I groused because I didn't get a better photo. Determined, if at all possible, every hour or so today, I scooted over to the place it hangs out to check for it. When I was making my 2 PM run, I almost couldn't believe it when I actually saw the bird. I had convinced myself it had long since departed.



I quickly spread the word and other birders started showing up. It disappeared for awhile, but as far as I know, all seekers got to see it. The homeowners said it lives there. Not being birders, they just took it as a matter of course, apparently.

Later, at our house, while eating supper, I glanced from the dining room, through the sitting/viewing room, and out the window to see a larger than warbler-sized yellow bird at the bird bath. Female tanager or crossbill were the only options that popped into my mind. Tanager would be rare for November and worth documenting, and crossbill would be a rarity any time of the year. I grabbed my camera, focused, and fired off a shot as fast as I could. After that one shot, it was gone. Thankfully, I at least got one photo of it for documentation. It would have been devastating not to have.


Female Red Crossbill

So a very good day! And I might mention, without my new bird bath there's no way I would have documented the crossbill here. Too bad I didn't do this years ago. All my energies were focused on the oasis and being there. But as I spend more and more time sitting in town by a fire, I have to get creative. 


1 comment:

  1. That’s awesome Carolyn! And all due to your wise decision to create the birdbath. Definitely better late than never. CT/Austin

    ReplyDelete