Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Shock and awe!

I was shocked at how tall the planter box looked when I put it into place. I had made it deep so there would be plenty of space for roots of a large bush, but as tall as it is already, I'm rethinking putting a tall bush in it. 




As the concrete dries, it'll fade somewhat.


I watered yesterday at the oasis. There was a purported (by other birders) Swainson's Thrush present. I tried and tried to get a decent photo of it, but it was too furtive. I was very disappointed. Here's the pitiful best I could do. Worst photo I've ever posted!



Back in Alpine, things are really hopping. Last Saturday (Nov 19th) the Greater Pewee showed up at our house in a pecan tree for about five minutes. The weather was just starting to sleet. I hope it survived. I keep looking, but haven't seen it since. In this "Alpine Madness," as birders are dubbing it, who knows? (The bird looks as surprised to end up back here as I was to see it.)



On Monday, the 21st, I was super surprised to discover a Lewis's Woodpecker at the golf course. Not so surprised one was there, as surprised I was the one who found it. With all the other rarities showing up in the area, birders have been on the lookout for a Lewis's. Just a fluke that I was the one that found it. I wasn't really looking that much. My photo is not good because it was out in the middle of the golf course where we're not allowed to go. Had to do the best I could from the street.



Red Crossbills have been relatively easy to locate, especially at the cemetery. I haven't driven around town this much since the Clark's Nutcracker was in town exactly two years ago.



Then a couple of days ago an ace birder, Stephen Falick, found a Cape May Warbler at the cemetery. It would have been a lifer for me, but even with Stephen's help, it couldn't be relocated. Yesterday he found a female Evening Grosbeak there. I did get to see it this morning, with Stephen's assistance. I had seen a male recently in Sunny Glen, but still a rare sight here.



Life is never dull! 


5 comments:

  1. Love the blog. Exciting birding out there. Your planters turned out great. Happy Thanksgiving Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's just one planter box. The center rock is a bird bath. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. Looks good for a Swainsons! In season, we have a dozen singing on our property and I might see one a year. Good luck getting a photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't mention that the birders that ID'd it were from Washington State. And I heard it vocalize once. When I got home I played a recording of a Swainson's and that's for sure what I had heard. Don't know if ebird will accept it though.

      Delete