Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Never satisfied!

It seems I'm never satisfied. Now I want a fake rock planter box to go with my fake rock outlet cover.



I'm going to start making it as soon as the weather warms up a bit. And I'll put it where I temporarily have the potted plants in the above photo.


The Greater Pewee was present for four days before it moved on. Right now there aren't many interesting birds around. I went chasing a Juniper Titmouse being seen in Davis Mountains State Park, but was unsuccessful in locating it.


Today I went to the oasis to water trees and service feeders. The seed feeder is still hanging. I raised it another 4-6 inches. The bucket had already been so high I can't reach it, so maybe the extra inches will do the trick. And maybe it helped that my son welded the pipe. We shall see. Some of the local residents on Terlingua Ranch are pestering Texas Parks & Wildlife to relocate the troublesome bear, but that's not their policy. As long as the bear isn't a threat to humans, then humans need to adapt. Which makes sense to me. I'm adapting the oasis as best I can, but it's a work in progress. Here's a photo someone took of the bear somewhere on Terlingua Ranch. It's a big one. I didn't see evidence that it had climbed the pole. It was just large enough to reach the feeder and pull it down.



I was really surprised to see a late Varied Bunting on the feeder. It stuck around near or on the feeder for the whole morning, until I left to come back to town. I've never seen one look quite like this, but then I haven't ever seen one in November, either. I think it must be a juvenile male.




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this update, simply love the Christmas Mountains Oasis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a varied bunting, but National Geographic's Field Guide to the Birds of Western North America shows a bird just like yours and calls it a "winter adult male." Thank you for your always-interesting reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info. I only have Sibley's and he doesn't show a winter adult. Good to know!

      Delete