Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, March 21, 2014

Perfect spring day at CMO

I just wish I had been well enough to get the maximum work out of myself today. As it was I could only do 1½ gallons of coating. The problem is that I wear myself out cleaning where I'm going to coat before I ever open the can of Drylok. Today marks six weeks since I started coating the tank. If I can do 2½ gallons tomorrow, I'll be real close to finishing.

Coming down from Alpine in the pre-dawn was so lovely, I kept stopping to take photos. The Christmas Mountains appeared haloed with a pretty pinkness.


Lots of birds and butterflies today but no unusual species. I saw my FOS (first of season) Ash-throated Flycatcher, but have not seen or heard an Elf Owl yet.

I was distressed to see a female Lucifer Hummingbird with her foot tangled in something. I try be be careful with string and stuff like that. Don't know what it is exactly. Hope she gets it off.


































Driving from the house to the habitat late this afternoon, I saw an American Kestrel with a mouse. Just in case it flew when I opened the car door, I took a photo through the windshield. OK, through the dirty windshield. Good thing too, because he disappeared as soon as I opened the door. So I'm left with only this really poor image.


3 comments:

  1. well, I DO like the photo you were able to take of the kestrel, have never seen this before.

    all the best,
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andreas. Do you even have kestrels in Germany?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, we do. Several species. But of course not the 'American Kestrel'. First time I have seen one sitting on a wire with his prey like on your photo.

      Delete