Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Escape to the Davis Mountains


I just had to do it. Quiet cool running stream. Couldn't resist. It's so hot and dry at the oasis. Tomorrow I'll go there and water. But today I enjoyed the cooler, wetter area of the Big Bend.



I got one lifer butterfly today, an Orange-headed Roadside-Skipper. I had seen that species before but mistakenly thought only the Golden-headed Scallopwing had a yellow or orange head. (I had all the pictures of that species I wanted.) When I discovered otherwise, I was determined to photograph every butterfly I saw with a yellow head. It worked. 


There were lovely flowers blooming since the Davis Mountains have gotten lots of rain. Also huge patches of Cowpen Daisies, which I'm allergic to. Even though I took an allergy pill, which wasn't working very well, I was concerned that I had left my inhaler in the car. So, after two hours I quit my adventure, but that's about as long as I ever last anyway.


These next flowers are more to my liking, but I forgot what they're called. I remember Kelly told me once.


The only odonate I photographed today was this Springwater Dancer. It was too cooperative to resist. I'll have you know, I identified it all by myself. It wasn't easy even though I've seen quite a few of them.


I photographed neat butterflies that were lifers a few days ago, but still interesting to me. Here's a Mead's Wood-Nymph hiding in wood that was a life species for me a week ago.


Brian is so indispensable with IDs that I'm posting the one he most wanted me to post, though I can't imagine why. It's a Slaty Roadside Skipper, another that was a lifer for me last week. Definitely not one of my better pics from today.


Lots more wonderful butterflies but I'll just post this one last species. American Ladies love horsemint and there's plenty of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment