Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, August 17, 2015

Marathon excursion

My friend, Teresa Keck, and I decided to run over to Marathon. She's more into birds but it worked out great. First off, I asked her to take a photo of me on that cow. I've mentioned before I wanted to do that. Well, there is now a sign there saying not to get on the cow. Before we saw the sign we were pretty sure we wouldn't be able to get me on the cow anyway, so just as well.


There were lots of lantana blooming at Gage Gardens and lots of Button Bush at Post Park. All covered with butterflies. I had tried to grow a Button Bush from seeds last year and they didn't germinate so gonna buy a potted one if I can find one.

I don't have all the following butterflies ID'd yet but will add the IDs as I get them. I know one is a Queen and one is an Orange Skipperling. Hoping the one on the left in the first photo is an Erichson's White-Skipper. That species would be a lifer for me. Wish I could have gotten a better photo.



Here is another bad shot I got of the potential Erichson's White-Skipper. It's an uncommon species in S TX.


This next picture is of a big disappointment. My favorite place at Gage Gardens was the reed-filled pond that was here. It's gone. Boo-hoo!


Here's a photo of the pond taken one year ago, same week in August. It's the only one I have, but it wasn't taken at quite the same angle.   About the only reference point is that wall on the right side.


And finally, here's the epitomy of beauty, a Two-tailed Swallowtail on Bird of Paradise. A photo can't do it justice.


UPDATE: The ID has been confirmed as an Erichson's, so that's another lifer for me. And the one in the second butterfly photo with the Queen is an Acacia Skipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment