Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Lajitas birdy today

A new Anna's showed up at CMO this morning. I was thinking yesterday that it was the first time ever there wasn't even one hummer at the oasis, so this one's arrival was very welcomed. He sang, so I knew it was a male. Juvenile, I think. His buzzing song livened up the place. (The female in the courtyard doesn't sing.) He wouldn't let me get close enough for a decent photo, and I wanted to go to Lajitas, so this is the best I could get. Maybe tomorrow I can do better.


Since I didn't get to Lajitas until the afternoon I was surprised at how many birds were there. Afternoons are usually not very birdy. I saw my first Double-crested Cormorant for Brewster County, lots of pipits and meadowlarks, and tons of ducks. I'm not good on duck IDs so I don't know if anything special was among them or not.


It was so great seeing a few odonates. Somehow I have to survive until spring. Lajitas will help I hope. Here's a Rambur's Forktail. 


And this is probably the best shot I've ever gotten of a Green Heron.

It departed when I tried to get closer.


I have more photos I want to share from today but I'm tired and don't have them all identified yet, so I'll continue tomorrow. Here is the only hummer I saw today at Lajitas but I was there during the worst part of day for hummers. This is a female Anna's Hummingbird.



No comments:

Post a Comment