Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Same old same old

Still cool and rainy, which ordinarily would be great..... if I wasn't trying to get a new tank installed.

Bummer to realize I can't go dragonflying or butterflying until next spring and summer. This winter may be spent getting the perimeter around the new tank rocked and concreted so no erosion can impact it, and also so I can save the water running off the tank roof.

Meanwhile, I have my photos to reminisce with. Here's one that Brian sent me recently of the lovely male Orange-barred Sulphur he collected in Alpine in August.


He only collects butterflies that he catches and mounts himself. Look how much better his Orange-barred Sulphur looks than this antennae-less one for sale on Amazon.


It's interesting how some years, for whatever reason, there'll be an influx of a species normally considered rare for an area. Like in 2013, CMO had an influx of Ornythion Swallowtails, but none before or since.
                                   
2013 9-11 CMO
Here's Brian's female Ornythion Swallowtail specimen from ChapeƱo, Texas, Oct 29, 2016




No comments:

Post a Comment