Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Trying to sort everything out

Between ducklings in town and baby Cactus Wrens that fledged in town (perhaps too soon) to birders and no rain at CMO, and trying not to miss the bird and butterfly life, not to mention the odonates, I don't know which way to turn. So I wear myself out and don't even get any work done on the tank.

I talked to my husband on the phone and per him, the parents are feeding the wrens on the ground wherever they find them, and they do find them. The ducklings are both still accounted for.

Back at the oasis there's a lot of fledging activity and feeding activity going on too. Kestrels fledged two. Ladder-backed Woodpeckers feeding young. Lots of juveniles everywhere. And so much to sort out. I think this is an Ash-throated Flycatcher.....


































And I think this is a Brown-crested Flycatcher. But I could be wrong. We hear the calls of both myiarchus species. Whatever they are, they're feeding young too.

























And then I'm struggling with butterfly ID, what with Brian out of pocket. I won't even start on those. Tomorrow I hope to get some better photos of some that I can't ID.

Here's a terrible shot of what I'm pretty sure is a Desert Whitetail. I took the photo yesterday, but hoping for a better one today, didn't post it. But I haven't seen it today, so this is all I have. Maybe tomorrow.


I was able to get a better photo of the Juniper Hairstreak today so I replaced the one I had posted yesterday with the better one.Yesterday they were way high in the soapberry tree and today I found one near eye level. Makes a big difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment