Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, April 16, 2015

A long day today

Knowing I had to get up early and drive to Odessa was detrimental to my night's sleep, as usual. All the way there I kept thinking, at least it's the last trip. Then it's over. So I was horrified when the eye doctor not only said I have to come back in a month, but I have to continue on the steroid drops and protect my eye from UV light for six months. Really deflated me. But wait!

When I got back to Alpine and got online I found some wrap UV glasses that are clear. So maybe the whole summer won't be a total bust. They won't hinder peripheral vision or demolish the color that I so depend on to sort out odes, butterflies, and birds. It'll still be a hassle photographing and using binoculars through them but lots of people do it, so I'm sure I'll adapt. (Hearing about so many people fighting cancer made me feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself.) As for my vision, he said it should continue to improve, but if it doesn't I can live with what it is.

I never had any after effects from my 2004 Lasik surgery but I was younger then, And maybe because I didn't use steroid drops and UV glasses afterwards is the reason I developed cataracts. Anyway, all history. Going forward now.

Some friends from Fredricksburg are in town for the weekend, so we looked around the yard here at wildflowers. She knows them better than I do. Between us we identified Fendler's Penstemmon..






































and Fleabane (erigeron)


Here's one of our patches of Bluebonnets. 


The wildflowers are just incredible everywhere. You almost just have to see it to believe it. So wish I could keep them longer. When you think of the price of a bouquet of flowers and we just have endless miles of them. Coming back from Odessa I took FM 1053 via Imperial and Ft Stockton and witnessed a whole other universe of them. I forced myself not to stop and take pictures.

1 comment: